Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Stolen Life

So I will have to admit, I have done nothing today except for read and it feels damn good. I started a book on my lunch break and then came home and finished it up in about 2 hours. The other reading that I have done is the random blog's that I am beginning to become addicted to. Blogging is new to me and I find that attempting to design my blog can be the most time consuming... but let me get back on the subject.



It's the memoir of  Jaycee  Dugard, the little eleven year old girl who was kidnapped and held captive for the last 18 years. I will say that this book truly touched my soul. Many of my acquaintances refuse to read the book because they can't bear to read what happened to this little girl. I have spent much of today in tears for her today. The reason it hits home is because the kidnapping happened just 2 hours away from where I live and Jaycee is the same age as me. My mother recalls when this happened and she still has a hard time talking about it without  breaking into a few tears.

If you have a few hours, I think people need to read this book to find out how much of a Monster the people were that took her and did all of these horrible things to her. Because I was so moved by her memoir, I choose to skip track practice tonight. Running was not where I wanted to be, instead I took the time to reflect on all that I do have and began to realize how thankful and blessed I am.

I know many of us like to rant and rave and complain about what we have versus  what we don't have or complain about needing to loose those extra pounds to make us happy.  But the truth is, we should probably just take a look in the mirror and think about what really makes us happy.  This made me think about can we ever be really satisfied with ourselves or what we have? I know heavy thoughts, for the night, but it was a heavy book to weigh on my heart this evening... my heart goes out to Jaycee and her girls and I am so proud of her journey that she survived.

1 comment:

Baby.Got.Craft said...

Want to sell your old copy?