Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bad Air Day

I think this says it all...
Hot Day




Being that this was the hottest day of the year and I sit an climate controlled office building in which I have to run my personal space heater to keep my lips from turning blue, the minute I stepped outside I felt as if I was walking through an inferno (my leather seats did burn my legs).

I am not one to complain about the heat, it's not that bad but when you add these conditions...
 UNHEALTHY BAD AIR QUALITY



This could only mean one thing - a recipe for exercise induced asthma which flares up in the heat.
So what does this mean, well pretty much I was gasping for air. In spite of my struggles to breath and the loud wheezing sound coming from my throat I somehow manged to finish about 4 miles tonight at track practice. I am a bit proud of myself, because despite horrendous weather conditions I managed to beat my 800 by 9 seconds. Granted, doing so may have caused my heart to start thumping in my head but I went to practice and at least got my miles in.

Being that I am new to the running world and this is just one step in my journey to achieve my many goals I would like to ask you all - do any of you experience struggling to breath when the sun comes out and the air quality is bad? If so, how do to deal with this and not allow it to derail you from your training?

1 comment:

Emily @ Sweating Sugar said...

That stinks! I used to have an issue when I first started running but it eventually went away. Hopefully it will be the same for you!