Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yard Sale Day

Yard Sales...

As I mentioned before, I live in a house full of treasures - very old treasures. I finally (over 3 years later) got the OK from the fam bam to get rid of shit! So what did we do, we had a yard sale.

There are so many great things about yard sales, IF people actually show up and buy your crap. The very thought of all that stuff  leaving your possession is very cleansing to the soul, but for people that have attachments to the items, it can be very hard to say goodbye.

My yard sale contained many OLD items...I think my grandmother collected old Sewing Machines, yes they are cool when you have just one and can say it's been in the family for years, but when you have FOUR- it can be a bit overwhelming.

My yard sale did ok, Just OK. Because I am selfish and didn't want to miss my workout on Saturday morning (had to get the sweat in because I am doing an Olympic distance tri next weekend and so not ready for it), I sacrificed my selling strategy by having the Yard Sale on a day that most people (I am not most people) attend some type of religious gathering, enjoy a lunch and time with family, not many people feel like going hunting for treasures. 

I did what I could. I put up signs, craigslist posts and facebook. Here are a few items that we attempted to sell today...










So, after several hours of very few people, I was sunburned, drained and packed the rest of the crap into my car and dropped it all off at local goodwill.

It felt good to get rid of this stuff, but there is still so much more to go through and get rid of. Slowly, this process will happen and it feels so good to cleanse my soul - not as good as a Yoga class, but I no longer feel like I live in a house that potentially some may mistake as a borderline hoarder... hello - most of the stuff was not mine...

I think my generation doesn't appreciation how well furniture was made in the olden days. A few of my treasure hunters today could even tell me what kind of wood my crap was made of. Yeah, yeah, maybe I shop at Ikea too much and for someone that likes to change up her decorations every few years... it sure is a lot cheaper than buying the expensive stuff. 

Now that I am starving and craving Tri Tip, I drove my tired  ass to Trader Joe's and picked up a pre-marinated tri tip. I never cooked one myself, nor cooked one just for myself. I might be eating tri tip all week long, but damn it sounded good!

No comments: