So, I will take this time to rant and rave about how much I hate foam rolling… All I can say it "Damn, it hurts!"
I have come to the conclusion that the reason I am not improving on my running is because of how tight my poor muscles are. Let's face it, I am NOT flexible.
I am having the worst IT band pain and it hurts to attempt to do anything to try fix or alleviate this problem.
BUT, I am trying. I am trying everything I can do loosen my muscles and become more flexible because I want to want to become better and faster at swimming, biking and running.
The issue I am having swimming is that my shoulders are so tight, that I almost look like a hunch back because I have a hard time pulling shoulders back… hence; this means that I have hard time lifting my elbows out of the water. Even the lovely yoga instructors like to push down on my shoulders when I am laying flat on my back because it looks like my shoulders are still up in my ears.
To work on this, I have been told to STRETCH. I need to stretch out my back, lats and shoulders by lying vertically on a foam roller.
I tried this last night, and unfortunately, my foam roller is not this long and it was very awkward and painful. I guess I will suck it up and go buy a super long one to attempt this stretch.
The issue I am having biking and running is that my IT band starts to hurt after about an hour or so. Usually this means that I have week hips and glutes and it is affecting my entire leg, lower back and feet.
Having IT band issues will be the biggest deterrent to my improving my athletic abilities, and this is the one thing that I just can't stand to stretch out… I want to CRY when I attempt to foam roll on my IT band…the worst pain of my life.
Last issue I am having is my calves. I have always had tight calves ever since I started teaching step classes (hence, I don't teach it anymore). My massage therapist would always wonder why when she pushed on my toes my feet would not ever go flat… the tight calves were jacking up everything in my lower leg and feet.
Ok, so as you can tell - I am a mess.
My body had a lot of work to do and yes, I have to suffer through the pain to get myself back in a healthy condition.
My mantra for this week:
"It is time to take my life back and get my ass back in shape…
NO EXCUSES"
NO EXCUSES"
I will suffer through the pain of foam rolling; stick rolling stretching, ice baths and my favorite… deep tissue massage. Why you ask, well it is because I want to get better.
Although, I have been enjoying my daily naps that I seem to be taking every day after work… these must stop and I must be more productive with my time… wish me luck!




1 comment:
John attended a whole workshop on felxibility and trunk rotation and learned that tightness all the way to your forearms can affect your ability to rotate your upper body. I am pretty flexible and don't really have issues with trunk rotation, but he does. Use tennis balls and lay on them with them placed next to your spine. It is not comfortable by any means, but way easier than a foam roll. make your way down your spine holding each position for at elast 30 seconds and breathing through it. Also, use golf balls on your forearms and biceps to release tension.
It could also help to incorporate weight training. I'm not sure how much you do now. Strengthening your glutes and hip flexers are going to help relieve the issues with your IT band.
Post a Comment